Appeal for blaze family

A SORELL family of four lost everything they owned in a house fire last month, but in true local community sprit the Lowe family has been inundated with support.

On September 9, the house burnt to the ground, also destroying their cars and leaving the family with just the clothes they were wearing.

Parents Nick and Aquilla and children Ciaran and Riley all escaped safely.

Fire investigators determined the fire was accidental and started after small children turned on a stove top.

Tasmania Fire Service crews from nearby volunteer and career brigades were called to the Forcett St property around midday on the day of the fire.

“Unfortunately in this instance there were cardboard boxes sitting on top of the stove at the time, which have caught alight very quickly,’’ fire investigator Tim McKay said.
“Many house fires start in the kitchen, and this serves as a reminder that flammable materials should always be stored away from the stove.
“Thankfully the occupants of the home were all able to get out safely, and members of the public were quick to offer their assistance.’’

The house and a vehicle were destroyed in the fire, with damage expected to be about $600,000.

Family friend Monique Boost has established a gofundme page and already about $10,000 has been donated.

“No insurance means they will struggle getting back on their feet which is why I’m hoping our lovely community can dig deep and share this story and donate where possible,’’ Ms Boost said.
“They need nappies, bottles, clothes, pyjamas, toothbrushes, shoes and other items ASAP.

Funds raised will go towards all the everyday items as well as furnishings etc.

“The main thing is they all got out safely and we are very grateful for that.’’

Since the appeal was launched the community has already offered and donated a lot of clothing and toys.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

%d bloggers like this: